To press an image into paper so it lies below the surface. Also called tool.

Deckle Edge
The rough or feathered edge of paper when left untrimmed.

The degree of tone, weight of darkness or color within a photo or reproduction; measurable by the densitometer.

A term that describes that portion of lower case letters which extends below the main body of the letter, as in "p".

Design, letters or shapes, cut into metal (mostly brass) for stamping book covers or embossing. An engraved stamp used for impressing an image or design.

Die Cutting
A method of using sharp steel ruled stamps or rollers to cut various shapes i.e. labels, boxes, image shapes, either post press or in line. The process of cutting paper in a shape or design by the use of a wooden die or block in which are positioned steel rules in the shape of the desired pattern.

Die Stamping
An intaglio process for printing from images engraved into copper or steel plates.

Digital Proof
Color separation data is digitally stored and then exposed to color photographic paper creating a picture of the final product before it is actually printed.

Display Type
Any type that stands out from the rest of the type on a page which attracts attention of the reader.

Distribution Rollers
In the printing process, the rubber coated rollers responsible for the distribution of ink from the fountain to the ink drum.

Dog Ear
Occurs when you fold into a fold (such as a letter fold). At the side of one of the creases you get an indentation. It may look like a small inverted triangle.

The smallest individual element of a halftone.

Dot Gain
Darkening of halftone image due to ink absorption in paper causing halftone dots to enlarge. Dots are printed larger than they should be.

Measure of resolution of input devices such as scanners, display devices such as monitors, and output devices such as laser printers, imagesetters and monitors. Abbreviated DPI. Also called dot pitch.

A method used by ink makers to determine the color, quality and tone of ink. It entails the drawing of a spatula over a drop of ink, spreading it flat over the paper.

A term that describes any additives to ink which encourages the drying process.

The actual drilling of holes into paper for ring or comb binding.

Drop Cap
A large initial letter at the start of the text that drops into the line or lines of text below.

Drop Shadow
A shadow image placed strategically behind an image to create the affect of the image lifting off the page.

Dry Back
Phenomenon of printed ink colors becoming less dense as the ink dries.

Dull Finish
Flat (not glossy) finish on coated paper, slightly smoother and glossier than matte. Also called suede finish, velour finish and velvet finish.

A term used to describe the rough layout of copy and art elements to be reproduced in the desired finished product; also called a comp or mockup.

Dummy Model
Resembling finished piece in every respect except that the pages and cover are blank, used by the designer as a final check on the appearance and "feel" of the book as a guide for the size and position of elements on the jacket.

A two-color halftone reproduction generated from a one color photo.

Duplex Paper
Thick paper made by pasting together two thinner sheets, usually of different colors or different finishes. Also called double-faced paper and two-tone paper.

Duplexing is the ability of a press or digital copier to print on both sides of a sheet without having to manually turn the sheet over.