Gang Printing
The bundling of two or more different printing projects on the same sheet of paper during a press run. Gang printing can provide customers with lower prices, as they are saving setup costs. Also called ganging.

Gate fold
A three or four panel fold where the two outside panels fold inward to meet in the center. In an open gate fold, there are three panels, the bottom of which is twice the size of the folded panels. In a closed gatefold, there are four panels of roughly equal size where the outer panels are folded inward together.

To assemble or collect sections into single copies of complete books for binding.

Assembling sheets of paper and signatures into their proper sequence; collating.

Ghosting is a phenomenon of a faint image on a printed sheet where it was not intended to appear.

Sticking on gold leaf to edges of books with a liquid agent and made permanent with burnishing tools.

A strong transparent paper.

A shiny surface paper coating.

Graduated Screen
An area of image where halftone dots range continuously from one density to another.

Direction of fibers in a sheet of paper governing paper properties such as increased size changes with relative humidity, across the grain, and better folding properties along the grain.

Grained Paper
A paper embossed to resemble various textures, such as leather, alligator, wood, etc.

An intaglio or recessed printing process. The recessed areas are like wells that form the image as paper passes through.

An image which consists of multiple shades of black and gray.

A series of metal fingers that hold each sheet of paper as it passes through the various stages of the printing process.

Gripper Edge
The grippers of the printing press move the paper through the press by holding onto the leading edge of the sheet; this edge is the gripper edge.

Low cost papers such as newsprint made by the mechanical pulping process as opposed to chemical pulping and refining.

Space between pages in the printing frame of a book, or inside margin towards the back or binding edge. The blank space or margin between the type page and the binding of a book.