A term given to the occurrence of plate deterioration of the image area during the printing process; usually occurs on long runs.

A term for planned unusable paper or paper damage during normal makeready, printing or binding operations, as compared to spoilage.

A translucent logo that is embossed during the papermaking process while the paper slurry is on the dandy roll.

The roll of paper that is used in web or rotary printing.

Web Break
A tear in a web roll during the printing process.

Web Press
Cylinder printing machine in which the paper is fed from a continuous reel, as opposed to sheet fed.

Wedding Paper
A soft paper that is thick and holds up well under embossing.

Wet Trapping
To print ink or varnish over wet ink.

A single word or two left at the end of a paragraph, or a part of a sentence ending a paragraph, which loops over to the next page and stands alone. Also, the last sentence of a paragraph which contains only one or two short words.

(1) In a printed product, a die-cut hole revealing an image on the sheet behind it. (2) On a mechanical, an area that has been marked for placement of a piece of artwork

Wire Side
The side of the paper that rests against The Fourdrinier wire during the papermaking machine, as compared to felt side.

Wire Stitching Or Stapling
To fasten together sheets, signatures, or sections with wire staples. The three methods are saddle stitching, side stitching, and stabbing.

With the grain
Folding or feeding paper into the press or folder parallel to the grain of the paper.  

A smooth paper made on finely textured wire that gives the paper a gentle patterned finish, without visible wire marks.

The unevenly dried surface of printed inks.

Writing Paper
Another name for bond paper.